bio-lamellar skincare with cleanZero formulas
skincare formulas are water oil compounds that are stabilized in a base and enriched with actives for specific skin benefits. Typically, water content is about 50% and actives are between 5-20%, leaving the remaining 30% or more for the technical base
guiding principle for formula development
THE CLEAN BEAUTY COMPANY products are different. Guiding principle is to activate products for optimum skin benefits by rethinking traditional skincare formulas, replacing and adding ingredients. In detail, guiding formula principles are:
- Water has no elevated benefits for the skin and is replaced with organic aloe vera for increased anti-inflammatory benefits
- Fermentation with water kefir grains adds skin-friendly bacteria and micronutrients, breaking down molecular structures for better skin penetration
- Natural and organic quality oils for enhanced antioxidant benefits
- Replacing common emulsifiers with natural lecithin extract that restores the skin barrier and has the ability to transport actives via the skin's own lipid system
- Preservation with natural humectant pentylene glycol instead of common preservatives like phenoxyethanol or parabens
- Avoiding technical ingredients in the product base like stabilizers, viscosity controls or texture enhancing ingredients
- Creating bio-lamellar product structures, via ultrasound manufacturing, that resemble the skin barrier, thus allowing formula actives to penetrate more efficiently
- Adding high amounts of skin-beneficial actives to the product for better results
This formula concept helps to visibly change skin appearance over time:
- short term: increase in natural glow and skin smoothness
- short to medium term: refined and better textured skin
- medium term: repair of skin barrier function
- medium to long term: skin activation along specific product benefits
The skins lipid system protects from water-loss and infiltration of allergens. It is also efficient in keeping skin actives from penetrating. Even water, H20, a small molecule, does not pass this barrier easily. How can much bigger molecules pass? With efficient so-called "PEG-emulsifiers" that unfortunately have the ability to disrupt the skin barrier. But there is a natural way to achieve an even better result with plant cells that can be filtrated from natural lipids.
The base for our formulas are so-called phospholipids, a lecithin extract, from non-gmo soybeans. Phospholipids are constitutents of cell membranes - in plants and our skin. To picture this, the skins lipid system consists of structures of "pressed" cell membranes that are constantly transported to the skins surface. Our bio-lamellar skincare is based on this very principle, replicating the skins lipid system with natural phospholipids.
But we take it a step further...
Our bio-lamellar(TM) base has a high amount of phospholipids avoiding the need to stabilize it with co-polymers and acrylates. The use of ultrasound technology creates a micro-lamellar structure that is stable and able to embed other skincare actives. Our technology is able to incorporate a high amount of beneficial molecules for the skin and transport them within the skins own lipid system until the structure dissolves with time and releases the actives. This way the chance for better pentration of skin actives is maximized. We load our products with organic controlled aloe vera, high in polysaccharides, that have the ability to reduce inflammatory processes. Moreover, we ferment our base with water kefir grains to increase the amount of skin beneficial molecules even further. Bifida, lactobacillus, saccharomyces and leuconostoc are good bacteria that strenghten the skin microbiome. This base is further enriched with natural and organic quality oils, high in anti oxidants and vitamins. Finally, other skinactives are added like natural extracts, vitamins and small molecular peptides.
This bio-lamellar base is finally loaded with skin goodness. Equally important is to create clean formulas.
THE CLEAN BEAUTY COMPANY products are VEGAN and FRAGRANCE-FREE. We exclude these ingredients from our products and to the best of our knowledge exceed standards introduced by natural/organic associations as well as individual beauty industry channel standards.
Commonly used base ingredients in skincare products, that we exclude, are:
BHA (ANTIOXIDANT, MASKING)
BHT (ANTIOXIDANT, PRESERVATIVE)
ETHANOLAMINES - ie TRIETHANOLAMINE (TEA),MEA,DEA - PH BUFFERING
FORMALDEHYDES - ie DMDM HYDANTOIN (PRESERVATIVE)
MICROPLASTIC - ie POLYETHYLENE GLYCOL
MINERAL OIL, PETROLATUM AND DERIVATIVES
PERFLUORODECALIN (SKIN CONDITIONER/SOLVENT)
SYNTHETIC OR NATURAL COLOURS
SILICONES - DIMETHICONE, CYCLOPENTASILOXANE,...(HUMECTANT,TEXTURE)
TROMETHAMINE (PH BUFFERING)
In essence, we do not only exclude a couple of potentially harmful ingredients for our skin, body or environment - we exclude categories. We encourage u to check our formulas and if you have questions please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information
THE CLEAN BEAUTY.CO